Induction Units

Frequently Asked Questions

Features and options:

Are bypass units/pneumatic (air side) controls available?

Unfortunately pneumatic controls are no longer available with induction units, meaning the bypass functions are no longer available either. This includes the thermostat, change over switch, control tubing and bellows dampers that were provided in the past.

How do I control my unit if pneumatic controls are not available?

The pneumatic controls were only used to control the air movement across the coil. These controls never tied to the water side or to the control of the outside air distributed by the air handling unit.

Without being able to control the airflow across the coil you can control the water flowing through the coil to achieve the same result. The valves used with the units can be controlled using simple thermostatic control, for both heating and cooling, very similar to what would be used in a fan coil, without tying into the outside air controls.

Alternatively the valves used with the units can be tied to the control system of the air handler responsible for providing the outside air to the units.

Is the electric heat option that was from the bypass units still available?

Electric heat elements are still available as a custom option, though the control has changed slightly to account for the removal of the bypass controls. In the past the bypass controls included a thermostat that would signal the micro switch to turn the electric heat on or off.

The electric heat will need a control signal to operate, typically from the thermostat or the building automation controls (tying into the incoming air control). The micro switch has been replaced with a contactor, which can be used to operate the electric heat. When using electric heat it is recommended that the airside controls are tied into the electric heat controls. This will help avoid nuisance tripping of the built in electric heat safeties due to heat buildup when airflow is not present.

What additional controls are available?

In cases where controls are required we can provide any number of custom options; however space is limited on the side of the unit for unit mounted controls. Thermostats, 120 or 24v, transformers and relays can be provided.

Provide the details of the custom control request and we can provide a price or an alternative. If a specific controls component or manufacturer is requested that detail should be included, with the relevant cut sheet and part number.

In extreme cases of custom controls the specification can be provided for Zehnder Rittling to review.

Please contact customer service for more information.

Can controls be factory mounted?

Yes, some controls components can be factory mount to the unit, however there are limitations. The first limitation is that the unit is a hideaway style unit, meaning that it will be enclosed after install and the access will be limited by the enclosure. Zehnder Rittling can provide enclosure for the unit (see below) that can allow access to the controls. The other limitation that must be considered is the size of the unit end panel. It is a relatively small surface which limits the available space for mounting of components or limits their size.

Are enclosures available for induction units?

Yes, as a manufacturer of a number of enclosure models and styles Zehnder Rittling is able to offer custom enclosures to meet a wide range of site conditions.

Using a mullion style enclosure with a bar grille outlet as the basis for most applications enclosure can be provided to address single unit, multiple unit or full wall run applications, enclosing everything from the unit, to the piping, duct runs and cut outs. Enclosure is made from heavy gauge sheet metal and finished in standard powder coat finish.

Typical design drawings are available or applications can be customized to meet the space needs.

Please contact customer service for more details.

Are valve packages available?

As part of the standard offering valve packages are not provided with the induction units or as part of the standard offering. In many traditional induction unit applications they are used in conjunction with other units for a multiple unit application. This leads to inconsistent piping from unit to unit, unlike traditional valve packages.

Can valve packages be provided?

Yes, in custom applications we do have standard valves used with cabinet heaters or fan coils that can be used with these units. They can be provided in standard or custom arrangements. These valve packages can be provided loose for field install.

Please contact custom service for more information.

Why does the standard drip pan not have a drain connection?

Induction units are designed to only affect the sensible load in the space. The latent load should handled by treating the outside air with the air handling unit. The condensate that is formed in the space should be minimal and with the standard drip pan design is expected to evaporate.

There is an option to add a drain connection to the pan in cases where the incoming air is not properly treated or operable windows are present, affecting the space humidity.

Why do some units require clearance from the floor or the wall?

he VW/V4W style units require a clearance below the unit to ensure the necessary airflow, in most cases, due to typical cabinet/inlet grille design and locations. The 3” height can be reduced if the entire coil area is open to the available airflow and not blocked off in any way.

The HC/H4C style units require a clearance before the coil/drain pan to ensure the necessary airflow due to the drain pan being located directly below the coil. This would block any airflow from directly below the unit. This limitation would not apply to a cabinet with a rear inlet, but the cabinet would require the clearance from the wall.

How do I order replacement parts?

If the need arises for replacement parts the simplest way to handle this request is to provide the unit serial number to customer service along with the part(s) request. This will allow them to ensure that the correct part for your unit is available or provide you with an alternate. If the serial number is not available you will be provided with a quote for the current version of the item requested.

Once customer service has the information they will provide you with a quote for the item, including price and availability.